1. When there’s a federal holiday, Tuesday is the new Monday. Since The International Man of Intrigue was off work on the real Monday, we did something I don’t do when I’m home alone and watched the local morning news. Every time I watch, I end up so confused about Florida. This is a weird place, Fellow Adventurers. Just yesterday, I had to ask why on earth anyone would name an event the Bay Area Renaissance Festival. Did they not check the acronym? I also had to google “feral monkeys near Ocala.” It turns out that there is a gang of feral rhesus monkeys that’s been living near Ocala, Florida since the 1930’s. Depending on your source, they were either left there after the 1932 filming of “Tarzan of the Apes,” or put there by a guy who owned a jungle cruise tour to add atmosphere. I’m not a huge fan of monkeys, so I’m actually relieved I’ve learned this little weird fact just in time to move from this state.
2. Speaking of grocery shopping and The International Man of Intrigue, he sent me a text from the grocery store this week. “Which ketchup are we boycotting?” Yes, the Intrigues boycott Heinz ketchup. We’re pretty forgiving by nature, but we do have a short but serious list of things we boycott. Pizza Hut, Heniz Ketchup, and Amarillo, Texas are the only things on the list at the moment. They all, of course, have good reason behind them. Do any of you Fellow Adventurers boycott anything?
3. We haven’t done a “What are you reading and watching?” for a while. I’ve just finished “Unbroken” by Lauren Hillenbrand, which I found very compelling, and “Hyperbole and a Half” by Allie Brosh, which had me laughing to the point of tears. I think I’m going to read “Paris” but Edward Rutherford next. I did see a couple of quotes from “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” books today, which put me in the mood to reread that as well. We’ve been watching “Longmire” on Netflix, which has kept us interested. The characters are interesting and the detective aspect is something we always enjoy.
4. The International Man of Intrigue just wandered in, complaining that we’re out of oranges again. I swear, you’d think we were attempting to singlehandedly rid the free world of scurvy the way the Intrigues go through oranges. The last bag was gone in two days.
5. Some updates on the Little Explorers: Amelia Earhart’s nose was, indeed, broken. A visit to an ENT confirmed that her nose was still perfectly aligned, even with the break, so we just have to wait for it to heal. Laura Ingalls Wilder is successfully potty trained. She turned out to be the easiest of the four Little Explorers to potty train. I took Gertrude Bell to the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game Sunday night. Less than two minutes in, a fight broke out. Initially, I think Gertrude Bell was a bit concerned, but in the end, she decides she really likes hockey and was crushed to find out there’s no ice hockey in Hawaii. Not to leave Arthur Dent out of things, we’re very proud that, when we had a houseguest last week, he wore pants the entire time. *Sniff* My baby boy is growing up. Now if he would just stop crying about having to put his shoes on to go to school every day…