Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Tuesday 5: Coffee with Baileys and Harry Potter

1. It’s that time of year again. Laura Ingalls Wilder just turned two, and tonight I’ll sit at the computer and try to figure out how to write a letter to a woman who loved her child so much she never looked at her own baby’s face. It’s so difficult. Everything I want to say seems like too much and not enough at the same time. 

2. We’ve been catching up on Doctor Who around here. I’m bothered by one thing. No, not the time travel, or that aliens seem to choose London over all other possible places in the universe to land, but that Clara has no case on her iPhone. Clara Oswald, you are a middle school teacher. You also happen to travel through time and space on a regular basis. I refuse to believe you are not constantly breaking your phone. Get an Otterbox on that thing, stat.

3. I belong to several Facebook groups. Who doesn’t. I thought most of them were pretty normal. I was visiting one last week and saw a discussion about Harry Potter. I was shocked to see this from another woman in the group, 

“I burned all our copies of the books upon the recommendations of a priest I trust very much.  He basically told me that the devil uses those books and materials as a portal into your home.  Witchcraft is on the rise for a reason.  Hollywood and Harry Potter have made it cool.  It is dangerous and my children will not be reading or viewing these materials no matter how "harmless" they are marketed to be.” 

WHAT THE FRESH HELL? I do not discount that there is such a thing as real evil. I also do not discount that some people are very uncomfortable with the Harry Potter series. To each his own. I do discount the fact that she burned the books. Know who else burned books they didn’t like? Nazis. 

4. I love bold, black eyeliner. I hope it doesn’t go out of style again. That’s all. Carry on.


5. Sometimes I drink coffee in the late afternoon. This is generally a coping mechanism. Today I made coffee in the late afternoon, then the Little Explorers were so crazy and I needed to get everyone out the door to a holiday program that it got cold and I forgot about it. I just got home, noticed the sad, forgotten coffee, and decided to dump Bailey’s in it and call it a nightcap. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment