Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Tuesday 5: Racism, Lent, and My Feet

1. Not too long ago, I found out that some casual acquaintances were “scandalized” that we adopted a black baby. Even though I don’t know them all that well, my first instinct, after the shock wore off, was to find them and give them a beating- if not a physical one, at least a verbal one. Then I realized, no, they don’t deserve it. If a grown woman is racist against a 2lb 7oz baby, I’m guessing she’s too stupid to understand any words I’d waste on her. This, Fellow Adventurers, is one of the reasons why, 52 years after Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his “I Have a Dream” speech, there is still so much racial tension in this country. This is why we can’t have nice things, America. As enraged as it makes me that someone might not love my daughter because of the amount of pigment she has in her skin, I had to remember what MLK said, “Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” If that wasn’t enough, I turned on Facebook after writing this and saw my friend’s status, “It is always unfortunate when someone disappoints, though I have been motivated to "up my game" and NOT mirror his/her image. -Moira LastNameHere (Boom. Quote that)." So, I did. Thanks, Moira. (Ok, edited to add, it was pointed out to me that it might sound like Moira was the mean girl. Nope, Moira's status just cemented the reminder that it's better to be the bigger person. Moira is certainly not racist. A family picture is all the proof you need. Sorry for any misunderstanding!)

2. Lent starts tomorrow. I usually don’t have much to say about what I decide to give up or do, but this year, I happened upon someone else’s genius idea that is exactly what I was looking for. It’s called 40 Bags in 40 Days. It mixes multiple things I try to incorporate: By cleaning stuff out, I’ll have things to donate to charity. I’m taking a less literal view of my 40 bags. Some won’t actually be bags- cleaning up my Facebook so my social media is more positive, downloading the pictures from my iPhone so they can be found when I need them, things like that are all “bags” of stuff that  I can move out of the way of the relationship between me and God. So, here’s to 40 in 40!

3. I’m finally watching the final season of How I Met Your Mother. I kind of know what happens, but I am really enjoying it and will be glad to have some closure. Once I have closure, I will go back to watching people hack each other up on The History Channel’s show Vikings. Totally a guilty historical fiction pleasure. It took me a few episodes, but I’m hooked.

4. A couple of weeks ago, I got new socks. This may not sound like a big deal, but I LITERALLY have not purchased socks since The International Man of Intrigue and I got married. That’s eleven and a half years, if you’re counting. That’s a long time. I just don’t go through a lot of socks, since we keep moving to places that are hot. I mean, while most of the US is covered in snow, it got up almost to 80 today. Anyway, athletic socks have come a long way in almost 12 years. They have some little cushion right in the back of the heel. There is some sort of ribbed arch support. They are supposed to help keep your feet dry. They’re awesome! I can’t wait to see how many more technological advancements socks will make in the next 12 years!

5. Speaking of socks, I have a use for them for more than exercising now. Last week, I bought my first pair of cowboy boots! It’s love. They’re pretty classic- brown, pointed toe, classic heel. There is a little turquoise stitching on the upper part. I love them. I’ve wanted cowboy boots for years. The best part of buying them, though, was when Gertrude Bell noticed them on my feet after I picked her up from school. She scrunched up her nose and said, “Mama, why are you wearing cowgirl shoes?” I told her I’d just bought them and I’d always wanted some. She smiled and said she liked my “cowgirl shoes” and was glad I was keeping them!

No comments:

Post a Comment