Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Tuesday 5: X-Philes and Martians

1. Fellow Adventurers, I JUST COMPLETED A MARATHON! That’s right. The International Man of Intrigue and I finished watching all 201 episodes of The X-Files on Netflix. It was grueling. There were some times I didn’t think we could do it. Anyone who’s finished knows that there’s that point towards the end where you just want to give up, but you have to power through anyway. Seasons 8 and 9 were excruciating, but we kept going and managed to make it through to the end. Now, to wait in anticipation of January and the new season of the X-Files that will air on Fox! 

2. As with any marathon, during this one, I had a lot of time for introspection. I had to finally admit to myself that I’m a nerd AND a geek. I started life that way. I was unpopular and a nerd in grade school and high school. I went off to college, found cool, and spent my 20’s trying to put my not cool side behind me. In my 30’s, I embraced and mingled the cool and the nerd/geek. I think it helps that it’s more socially acceptable to be a geek. In some ways, it’s celebrated. There are shows that embrace geekiness, like The Big Bang Theory. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and really it’s just part of one’s 40’s, but the desire to give a crap what anyone else thinks is gone. 

3. My dad is responsible for my love of geeky things. (Yesterday was his birthday - Shout out to Daddy Gale on his last birthday before retirement!) When I was growing up, he constantly had his nose in a sci-fi book. I definitely inherited my need to always be reading something from him, even if the sci-fi genre didn’t stick when it comes to books. He also introduced me to X-Files. Since it started my senior year of high school and was on Friday nights, I didn’t watch much in the beginning. Later, though, I remember the show moving to Sundays. After college, I’d often go home for the weekend to do laundry and would stay to watch X-Files, since I didn’t have a TV at home (Nerd). 

4. So, for you Fellow Adventurers who've read this far and never watched an episode of the X-Files, why? Just kidding. Actually, I’m out of X-Files things. Just kidding again. I have tons more! I will spare you, however, and not list my favorites, like the funniest scene (When Mulder, Scully, and Skinner are all on the phone with each other while sitting in bubble baths in their respective hotel rooms), favorite character (When I was younger, it was Mulder, but now that I’m grown up, I have a girl crush on Scully- a strong female lead!), and biggest lie in a show seeking truth (“I do not gaze at Scully!” by Mulder. Good thing one of the show’s tag lines was “All Lies Lead to the Truth."). Oops. I guess I didn’t spare you. 


5. In non-X-Files, but still geek news, I’m hurriedly trying to finish reading The Martian by Andy Weir so I can see the movie with Matt Damon this weekend. I started reading it yesterday and was immediately sucked in, so it shouldn’t be a problem. Have you read anything good lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment