Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Tuesday 5: What's on My iPod and the Importance of Avocado Toast

Wow. Tuesday again. That came a lot sooner than I expected. 

1. I have discovered my new favorite food. Avocado toast. Lightly toasted whole grain sprouted bread with avocado smashed up on top and a decent sprinkle of good salt. It’s like heaven in my mouth, and mostly guilt free. 

2. Speaking of food, I realized the other day that I identify as “not picky.” Actually, I’ve gotten pickier with age. Growing up, we always had to eat what was put in front of us, at least two bites of everything. By the time I was an adult, I’d eat anything, even if I didn’t like it. Then one day it hit me: I don’t have to eat things I don’t like. Don’t want a watery tomato on my burger? I can actually order it without. At a dinner at someone’s house? It’s actually not rude to say “no thank you” or pass the dish without taking some in most cases. It took me until my 20’s to realize this and until my 30’s to embrace it. I still eat things I don’t like, but I also more often make the choice not to. It’s really freeing.

3. The other day, I called The International Man of Intrigue at work. Halfway through the conversation, I had to ask him to speak up. He shouted into the phone, “WHAT is going on over there?” I answered, “WHAT? OH, THAT. Amelia Earhart and Gertrude Bell are practicing for a wheelbarrow race. Laura Ingalls Wilder is screaming because she’s trying to poop. Arthur Dent is standing right beside me crying because his pencil lead broke…Oh, wait. I think what you’re talking about is the electric pencil sharpener I’m using to sharpen Arthur Dent’s pencil. Yeah. I guess that is kind of distracting.” And the thing is, this is just a normal day at the Intrigue house.

4. If you're ever worried that your life is too safe, try washing a ninja blender blade by hand. Problem solved.


5. Just for fun: Hit shuffle on your iPod. What are the first five songs that come up? Mine are, “I Would Walk 500 Miles” by The Proclaimers, “It’s a Shame About Ray” by The Lemonheads, “Semi-Charmed Life” by Third Eye Blind, “Where The Blacktop Ends” by Keith Urban, and “Airplanes” by Gary Allan. Interesting. That’s definitely not as eclectic as it could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment