Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Tuesday 5: New Year's Resolution Edition

I’m not usually one for making New Year’s resolutions. I generally try to improve myself as I go along, and not on a specific day. Also, I really am horrible at follow through. I start things and never finish, so I really don’t need a new year to start something I won’t finish. This year, though, I made some generic resolutions. I don’t like to get too specific, or I know I won’t keep them. Here they are:

1. I want to continue to lose weight and get in shape. I’ve lost 7 pounds since the beginning of November. That doesn’t sound like much, but I think considering I didn’t gain any weight over the holidays, and I took the last week off of working out because of a nasty head cold,that says quite a bit. Today at MOPS, another mom that I don’t know well complimented me on my obvious weight loss. It was just what I needed to keep at it!

2. I want to read 20 books this year. Last year, my goal was 16, and I think I missed it by one or two. This year, I’m going to carve out a bit more time for reading. I love the escape, and I really do feel like it makes me a better person. I just finished reading “All Quiet on the Western Front” by Erich Maria Remarque. If you haven’t read it, it’s a classic, told from the perspective of a German soldier during World War One. It’s also ridiculously depressing, but well written. I’m left mainly being relieved that The International Man of Intrigue doesn’t have to fight trench warfare. I just started reading Messenger by Lois Lowry, which is the third book in The Giver series. 

3. My third resolution is probably the most specific- I want to memorize two Bible verses a month. Amelia Earhart has decided she’s going to do it with me. Our first verse is Proverbs 15:1, “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”

4. I need to continue to organize and purge. I want to be a minimalist, but I’m kind of a packrat. The struggle is real, people. And it is ongoing.

5. Number five is non specific, but has the biggest chance for impact. It could potentially help me keep the rest of my resolutions. Basically, it’s not to waste so much time during the day. I want to spend more time playing with Arthur Dent and Laura Ingalls Wilder while the big girls are at school. I want to keep the laundry under control. That means not getting distracted. That being said, Amelia Earhart woke me up at 5:15 today, so this afternoon I blew a good thirty minutes on Facebook, reading all the hilarious responses to a thread about a new fertility monitor. It’s basically a ring that stays in your lady bits and constantly reports back your body temperature to your smartphone, effectively predicting ovulation. I was super excited about it until I saw the price tag. $150 for the device. Sounded awesome until I got to the part where it only works for a month. Now, I’m sure you’re wondering if that means we’re going for Baby Intrigue #5. No. I just think it would be a healthy way to avoid pregnancy. I mean, we go on and on as a society about the junk that’s in our food supply. We spend extra to get hormone free milk and meat so we don’t ingest anything that was given artificial hormones, but every day, millions of women take a pill to purposefully put artificial hormones into their bodies. Doesn’t really make sense, does it? Personally not for me. But that’s another argument. And has nothing to do with the fact that after reading the thread, I took a thirty minute nap. Still, I will waste less time this year.


That’s it for me. Are you into resolutions or not? 

1 comment:

  1. #2...I pinned a list on Pinterest of different books to read for the year. They included ones like "a book more than 500 pages long", "a book with a love triangle" and "a book from your childhood". I am going to attempt to make it through that list this year. #3 is a brilliant idea! Maybe that'll be a goal for next year. I have a prayer journal I'm working on this year. Oh, and #5...amen on the pill stuff.

    ReplyDelete