Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Tuesday 5: All American Edition

Fellow Adventurers, the thought crossed my mind today to skip the extended blog version of my Facebook Tuesday 5 today, but then it occurred to me that all 10 of you might miss it. It also occurred to me that I am thankful for spell check, or I’d always spell occurred as occured. Finally, but most importantly, it occurred to me that if I didn’t do the extended blog version I was going to have to wash the pots and pans in the sink. Tough call.

1. I’m a bit fuzzy today. I’ve mentioned, before, but I’m positive my kids hate it when I sleep. Hate it. Laura Ingalls Wilder slept through the night just fine, but I was up multiple times with Arthur Dent and Amelia Earhart. Thank goodness they had cleaned and organized their rooms this weekend. Every mother knows the joys of crossing a Barbie and Lego land mine field to get to a child’s bed. 

2. Speaking of Legos, today the new Lego catalog arrived at our house. This is cause for much rejoicing among all in the Land of Intrigue. For me, it’s also the cause of great angst. I love Legos as much as the next gal. Santa brings me my own set every Christmas. The problem lies in the fact that there is just one precious copy of the catalog delivered. If you ever want to see my kids engage in a mixed martial arts battle to the last Little Explorer, toss the new Lego catalog on the floor in between them all and watch them scrap. Thankfully, the threat of me taking it away seemed to bring a little peace to the situation. Peace and trepidation. They know that once mom and dad lay hands on that, we will hog it for weeks.

3. Gertrude Bell has been singing “Yankee Doodle” all day long. Unfortunately, but hilariously, she thinks his name is Cranky Doodle. “Cranky Doodle went to town, riding on a pony…”

4. Today was my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) kickoff meeting! I am so excited to have that little part of my week back. I get so much out of the Bible Study and the fellowship with other moms. Plus, the food is delicious. Also, my most favorite thing? Being kid-less for a few hours. I love my kids like crazy, but I love having that little bit of time each week to be inspired and renewed, and I feel like a better mom that I get that time without kids. 

5. The Little Explorers love to watch old school G.I. Joe. Wherever would they get the idea to watch that? Surely not The International Man of Intrigue, who turns it on and curls up with the kids on the couch on Saturday morning. While they were watching, I was sitting on the couch next to them, reading a book, also about war. If you’re interested, I can recommend it as gritty but compelling: Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain. As I read, I could hear the television, but wasn’t really paying attention. Something burrowed into my brain. It took me a second, and then I looked up. “International Man of Intrigue, did they just reference “The Art of War” on G.I. Joe?” He smirked and said, “Yes, yes they did.” I wonder if Sun Tzu would be amazed to know he was referenced by name on an American cartoon, assuming that he knew what America and cartoons were. 


Now you know, Fellow Adventurers. And knowing is half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment