Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Tuesday 5: Feminists and Fighters

1. There’s a new personal crusade in Arthur Dent’s world. He’s on a mission to take back pink. He wants to reclaim it as a color that is good for boys AND girls. Right now, he hasn’t extended his quest past using pink cups and plates whenever possible at meals. He’s very matter-of-fact about it. He’s the only boy in a family full of girls, and one of only three boys in his preschool class. I support his crusade and am glad his sisters do, too. I'm glad to be raising a house full of feminists.

2. Speaking of feminism, we were playing cards the other night, and I became frustrated when I realized that, in the game we were playing, the winner was called “King” and the second place player was called “Queen.” I don’t know why it never bothered me when playing cards and realizing that the King is always higher than the Queen, but it stuck out like a sore thumb and really irritated the feminist in me while playing this game. 

3. Our kids really enjoy music, and we’ve done our best to encourage their love for it. Amelia Earhart and Gertrude Bell take piano lessons. Amelia Earhart is learning guitar and The International Man of Intrigue has taught himself to play several instruments. He is most proficient at guitar. The other day, he was playing “Renegade” by X Ambassadors and the Little Explorers were singing along. It brought up lots of questions. “What’s a renegade? What about a mutineer? Why is being a renegade ok, but not a mutineer? Who is Spielberg? Kubrick?” This went on and on until they had a full exegesis of the song. I love these kind of unprompted learning moments.

4. Laura Ingalls Wilder is in the throes of terrible two-dom. She is INTENSE. There are lots of screaming fits followed by time outs followed by Laura Ingalls Wilder sneaking out of time out with the time out stool to climb up and get whatever she was in time out for throwing a fit about in the first place. Lather, rinse, repeat. It’s made for some long days. I just keep reminding myself that the same fighting spirit that makes us crazy now is what helped her grow and thrive when she was born weighing less than three pounds. If we can just channel her fighting spirit without breaking our spirits, she’ll be destined for greatness.


5. “I realize God may have gotten something beautiful done through me despite the fact that I am an asshole.” From “Accidental Saints” by Nadia Bolz-Weber. I just started reading this book today and I am finding it both relatable and inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment